St. Basil's parish celebrated it’s 100th Anniversary in 2001. The parish was formed from a group of people from the Sub Carpatho-Russian province of Galicia who had settled in the Maplewood area, Town of Colonie near Albany, NY. The church was established by 19 men, inspired by Father (now Saint) Alexander Hotovitsky, who helped organize parishes all along the east coast. In January 1901, the Brotherhood of St. Basil the Great was formed and His Grace, Bishop Tikhon of the Aleutians and North America blessed the members of the Brotherhood to construct a church building.
The cornerstone was laid and blessed by Father Alexander Hotovitsky on November 21, 1901. Father Alexander traveled from New York City to conduct liturgical services for the people of St. Basil's.
The congregation continued to grow and a new, larger church became necessary and was blessed by Metropolitan Theophilus in September 1945. Many of the parishioners lived in the Maplewood area surrounding the church.
This church building remains to this day and has been the site of countless Sacraments and Blessings to the many generations of St. Basil's parish. An excellent choir under the directorship of Michael Mellin sings for all services.